Lanark, United Kingdom
Since our beginnings in 1891, when the very first piece of knitwear came off our knitting frames in Lanark, Scotland, Glenmuir has committed itself to creating golfwear with impeccable care, skill and dedication to the craft.
Est. 1891 Scotland
Our inspiration, both then and today, is to instil each piece of our expertly crafted golfwear with something of the essence of golf; traditional but forward-thinking, perfectly balanced, elegant and of course, Scottish to the core.
To this day, Glenmuir remains a family-run business dedicated to producing the finest golfwear. We are proud to say that our clothing has been worn by champions at Augusta, winners of the Claret Jug, gladiators of the Ryder Cup and on the world's leading courses; but we are equally proud to see Glenmuir clothing at local clubs, dressing beginners and professionals alike, of every level and generation, all coming together for the love of the game.
That is the spirit of golf. That is the spirit of Glenmuir.
In 1891, local businessman Andrew MacDougall established a knitwear factory in the small village of Kirkfieldbank, near Lanark, in the beautiful surroundings of the Clyde Valley in Scotland. Legend has it that Mr. MacDougall's first work force initially consisted of five women, all called Mary. Mr. MacDougall was the inventor of a new power-driven machine that greatly simplified the design and manufacture of fancy golf hose.
MacDougall cared a great deal for his work force, offering treatment when they were ill and making sure they knew they were valuable to the business. This can be seen in a letter Mr. MacDougall writes to employee Tom Russell.